Wednesday 31 October 2012

'Crash Test Dummy'

Remember those socks from the past post? The bright orange ones with 'CRASH TEST DUMMY' written on them? I pulled them on yesterday and went for a little ride. I hoped they'd provide me some kind of ironic protection against mishaps while riding, but no, it was not to be...

(My phone battery cut out with about 5-10km left to go, hence the incomplete Strava track)


I set off in late morning with a friend, Cory - we set a good pace aided by cunning drafting and soon made it most of the 45-50km to Kizu despite a bit of a headwind. With about 5 km left Cory had to turn back due to time constraints and despite this being my first ride for a week due to having a cold, I decided I might as well press on and finish the ride to Kizu proper.

I got there and soon realised that amenities are... lacking. There isn't even a convenience store in Kizu. Having just ridden that distance on a single 500 ml bottle of electrolyte drink, I was in need of something.

There are however several vending machines, including one with the ever-present Pocari Sweat (a stranglely-named Japanese sports drink). And a cake store.

It was obvious what had to be done...

The ultimate mid-ride nourishment

After enjoying the fine slice of chocolate cake you see above and refilling my bottle, I set off back home. 

Then, but 100 metres down the road, I got hit by a car at a fairly blind junction. Side-on. At probably 20 mph.

The impact knocked the rear wheel out from under me, so I went down pretty hard. Luckily I hit the ground on my side so save for a few scrapes and some utterly trashed gloves, I was pretty much OK. Thankfully, save for a slightly bent rear wheel and misaligned brakes, so was the bike. The car - a Prius (I hate Priuses) - was totally unscathed.

In the end I took the guy's plate number, refused medical treatment or the police (I was in a hurry to get back before it got dark, really) and accepted a token cash gesture (80 quid or thereabouts). Not how I'd have handled it in an ideal world, but like I say, it was getting late. Oh well.



A bit of road rash and bruising  on my hip and a few scratches on my legs - not too bad, all things considered...

I pushed on through the return leg (45 km or so again, back to a slightly different place). The adrenaline wore off at about the halfway mark, so I bonked hard and was pretty much falling asleep on the bike by the end. I didn't have the opportunity to consume extra sugar to fend off shock, so I'm sure that didn't help.

Anyway, I got home and both myself and the bike are more or less fine, so that's the important thing.

The lesson: Shit happens. No matter how careful you are, sometimes other people's stupidity will unavoidably find you. Deal with it and move on, and don't let it taint your enjoyment of things.

Personally, I'll be back on the bike on Friday. I have a Strava Challenge to get ready for in a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Attitude is everything, if you can walk away from it an jump back on your bike there is no need to give it a second thought. Making do with cake and pocari sweat, sounds lunch on the road in Japan to me.

    ReplyDelete