Thursday 30 January 2014

Strava Gran Fondo 1


Needed to complete this one, so I set off this morning. In the rain. Which did not stop.

"Optimise for suffering"... I think I managed that!



'Epic' is a word that gets thrown around too much, but I think this ride was getting there. I had a bit of a crisis point at about the 50 km mark where I literally couldn't feel my fingers, to the point where I couldn't brake or shift properly. I had to duck into a convenience store and buy some nylon liner gloves, which I wore under my other gloves - that did the trick and I was fine from then on.

So, it rained for a solid 130 km. It was cold and at times windy. Everything - clothes, bike, face... is both soaked through and absolutely filthy, plastered with road grime and oil. Rules 5 and 9 were firmly in effect today...

Rule #5: Harden The F*** Up
Rule #9: If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period. 
Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather - be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot - are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Rain makes for some beautiful views, though!

Warmth break 1: endless hot tea and organic chocolate cheesecake in my favourite cake shop

Warmth break 2: Hot cocoa with cream and sprinkles. Sprinkles are totally acceptable in this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment