Sunday 8 September 2013

Hors Catégorie: Rokko-san

From the ever-reliable Wikipedia: 
Hors catégorie is a French term used in cycle races to designate a climb that is "beyond categorization", or an incredibly tough climb. Most climbs in cycling are designated from Category 1 (hardest) to Category 4 (easiest), based on both steepness and length. A climb that is harder than Category 1 is designated as hors catégorie. The term was originally used for those mountain roads where cars were not expected to be able to pass. 
Sounds pretty horrendous. So, naturally, today I took my bike on the train to Kobe to have a crack at the western road up Rokko-san: my first HC-categorised climb...




The HC climb segment

859 m of overall elevation gain (1088 m total with ups and downs) over 23.7 km distance...
When I left Kyoto, it was raining. The weather forecast was for 'scattered showers' - workable enough. When I got to Kobe, it was still raining. Hard. This was not 'scattered showers'.



I met up with Barry from Kobe Cycling Club, who I have wanted to ride with for a long time. He is VERY fast and is top 5 on the leaderboards for most of the big climbs in the Kobe area. What's more, he is British (Scottish in fact), and it's always nice to ride with a fellow Brit. Oh, and he's also a thoroughly nice guy!

We set off for Rokko-san in the pouring rain. Once you're wet, you're wet, so you might as well just go for it. And the climb was... much easier than I was expecting. The first 2-3 km were very steep and quite tough going, but past that, beyond a few steep ramps (especially one at the end) it really wasn't that bad. Just very, very long. I paced myself very conservatively, generally not going over my threshold heart rate, and I know I can go much faster next time. And yeah, I will be back!



At the top!
Celebrating, British-style!

After Rokko-san we went down to the junction and then up to the top of neighbouring Maya-san. Whereas Rokko offered us nothing, Maya did eventually give us a break in the clouds - finally, a rewarding view!

We also met a group of very friendly Japanese ladies who had bravely hiked up in the rain. We were clearly cold and they were impressed with our efforts - they rewarded us with a cup of hot coffee from their gas stoves. Pretty much saved the day! Japanese generosity is amazing, even across the language barrier, as always.

Atop Maya-san in the rain, nursing our precious coffees!

As we left Maya summit the weather actually started to break. The clouds parted a bit and the fog moved on, giving us some amazing views and letting us dry off and warm up a bit. Unfortunately the roads were still soaked and the final descent down the very steep Omote Rokko Driveway road was pretty terrifying, with barely-functioning brakes and slippery fresh tarmac...




Safely down (by some miracle!) we made the ride to Nishinomiya where we pulled up outside Awajishima Burger - without a doubt the finest hamburger I have eaten anywhere, not just in Japan. A bacon cheeseburger, onion rings, a Coke and a frosty Longboard beer - ample reward, I think! It tasted even better than usual after climbing Rokko, believe me!

A truly transcendent meal...

No comments:

Post a Comment