Monday 16 July 2012

Kyoto to Nara

Last week I decided I'd finally ride the route from Kyoto to Nara. A nice 45 km... apparently.

In reality it was 60 km. Which makes for a 120 km return journey. Combined with low-30s temperatures, burning sun and high humidity (i.e. typical Japanese summer conditions) it was quite a ride!

In Nara-koen (park) with the infamous (and very insistent) sacred deer.

Route info for the way to Nara can be found here:
http://kineticgps.com/route.php?r=cd44341cdb32bf1ead6770cbfbdcd5c2/120710-1013-Shijo-Omiya---Nara.kmz

Sadly my phone battery died on the way back so I don't have a GPS log for the whole trip, but you can essentially double the above.

I think 120 km on a fixed gear track bike (designed for racing at the velodrome) is pretty good going. Possibly a little stupid, but good fun* nonetheless.




* The three types of fun can be summed up thusly:
 - Type 1 Fun: Fun at the time, fun to think/talk about later
 - Type 2 Fun: Not fun at the time, but fun in retrospect
 - Type 3 Fun: Not fun at the time and not even fun in retrospect


I think this was somewhere around Type 2, so it fits in with a lot of winter climbing. Maybe I just have a penchant for suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment